This is the fourth in a series of 15 blogs I'm writing for Mommy's Piggy Tales . Janna has provided a forum for members to write and share stories from their youth. I'm really enjoying thinking about things that happened decades ago!
A Bigger House with Music Everywhere
![]() |
| My home from 1950 onward. |
On a sunny day in late August 1950, my dad brought in the big truck from the farm and backed it up to the front porch of the Little House. All our family belongings were packed to "ride along" a mere two blocks to the place that would be home for the next 16 years. This was a major family milestone!
![]() |
| My mom's dream kitchen |
![]() |
| Fall 1950 in newly wallpapered living room. |
![]() |
| Ages 11 and 8. November 23, 1950 in our new house. |
We always laugh at this set of birthday photos because the new radiator cover had not been installed and we are sitting on piano books! As always, Mom came up with some appropriate cakes. If you read music, it's OK to hum the song to us! M loved chocolate cake but I normally chose something "bigger than hers" like angel food this year.
Did we like sharing a birthday? For the most part, yes. (The only bad part was that I have no photos of me on my birthday without M.... and I felt guilty when I photoshopped her out recently. ha ha ) Our parents made sure we had a fun, appropriate celebration every year, always on the right date, the 23rd. In 1950 our birthday was actually on Thursday, Thanksgiving Day. We had dinner at our grandparents and Mom volunteered to bring her usual homemade dinner rolls and two desserts!
Something I didn't like, though, was the fact that M and I were three years apart in age and four years apart in school. When she started school, children were sometimes allowed to skip a grade and she did. By the time I began, the schools no longer allowed the practice (good thing.) However, as a child, I thought it was weird that I was four grades behind M in school. As we got older, it didn't matter as much. Our personalities and interests are quite different (but we are very close as adults). I was certainly happy that we were not in high school together. So was she!
As a second grader, I was now old enough to begin piano lessons. My teacher was a dear family friend and an accomplished musician. My sister took from her too. I find it hard to believe that my mother enjoyed listening to us practice, but she actually did. And she definitely noticed when we repeatedly hit a wrong chord! She was eager for us to have the lessons that she didn't have as a child. However, her natural music talent plus determination was far more important in her progress than formal lessons.
Also at this time I began singing in the Children's Choir at church under my mother's leadership. Mom played the organ using her hands and feet and directed with her elbows and head while singing! In Catholic churches at that time, the choir was in a loft at the back of the church, so no one saw her unusual (and effective) technique. Mom loved the choir, teaching us Latin hymns and High Masses. She dedicated herself to liturgical music for many years. Most parishioners were eager for their daughters to participate from 2nd Grade through High School.
At home, we sang around the piano frequently. I remember Mom teaching us to hear the parts. M inherited more of the "music genes" than I did and she could hear the harmony. But it was sooo hard for me. Mom would say, "Karen, just sing the melody and hold the tune." I'd put my hands over my ears to do my best and I tried very hard not to cry. Once we had it, Mom would join in as a third part. My dad always asked for an encore from his family trio. Then he'd hug his girls. Actually all this was fun.
![]() |
| Diagram of Grandparents staircase |
In time, I realized that I had inherited more "crying genes" from my grandmother than "music genes" from my mother!
*********





I'm joking a bit here. I'm quite happy with my DNA. It is true that M has musical talent and Grandma cried easily. We have many family stories about music AND about crying. It's all in loving fun.
ReplyDeleteYou just reminded me that I started piano lessons in 2nd grade too. I guess I should go edit my entry!
ReplyDeleteLoved your story! Singing on that platform would be just the perfect stage!
ReplyDeleteI have always loved how the choir is in the back in Catholic churches -- I think Protestants should consider that move. ;) I certainly felt that way when I sang in choir!
beautiful old home. love the part about sitting on books.
ReplyDeletegreat how you tied the pictures together with your writing.
Loved this. Funny as a youngster I walked the ways that avoided the scary dogs too. I was so bugged one day when their owner (a little girl who couldn't control them) brought them to the safest avoidance route! Visiting from group 4
ReplyDeleteLove it! You always have great pictures! I started piano lessons for the first time when I was in second grade too! Thank you for a great post.
ReplyDelete-Emily (group 3)
Karen,
ReplyDeleteI love all the old photos you include each week with your stories! They really bring it to life. I was tickled to read that you also started singing in the choir at this age. Surprisingly, I never met anyone else (other than my classmates) who started that same year. Thanks for the lovely memories.
interesting about the crying genes and music genes...my mom had both...i think i have both to lesser degrees but it is interesting how they play themselves out. we have a lot in common that i look forward to exploring more through our childhood recordings! :)
ReplyDeletei really like the first picture of "my home from 1950 onward"...my mom still lives in the house i was brought home to when i was born...this house you show is really cute! it looks like the style of homes we were looking to buy here in san diego...has a definite HOME feel to it...
enjoying the journey...denise from group 3
I really enjoyed reading this and I love the pictures of your beautiful new house in the 50s.
ReplyDeleteDeanna from Group 3.
I LOVE it! What wonderful memories! Did anyone ever record the three of you singing together?
ReplyDeleteWhile you described singing on the steps, I kept thinking about the Sound of Music!
I love that your mom always made sure you had two cakes - even if you had to share your day. Thanks for visiting animo memoria and group 4!
ReplyDelete