This is the fifth in a series of blogs I'm writing for Mommy's Piggy Tales . Janna has provided a forum for members to write and share stories from their youth. Believe me, this is a lot of fun!
Third Grade, Historic Pudding, and Progress
Third Grade in our elementary school was upstairs...big deal, in my eyes! My teacher was also the principal, the dreaded Miss Corners. She was the stereotype stern spinster school teacher who scared most children (and their parents). I didn't have any problems with her, but I tried my best not to test her patience! Since she was the principal, she had more "student helpers" than other teachers...for jobs like answering the school phone (in a booth in the stairwell half a flight downstairs), taking notes around the building to all the teachers and waiting for an initial (no intercom in those days), and everyone's favorite -- operating the "lost and found." Now these may not seem like huge tasks, but 3rd graders were eager to help on a rotating schedule. All 3rd Graders were learning to be good citizens in the school community! In fact, these responsibilities are my most vivid memory of school that year.
![]() |
| My mom (far right) and siblings who loved pudding in1920s. |
![]() |
| 2010 version of the moons (left). Granddaughter prefers a swirl pattern. Gotta lick the bowl, too. |
And the other technology was of course, TV! The larger cities like Omaha and Lincoln had TV stations, but reception was weak in towns like ours. People installed an outdoor antenna and it helped if you had a higher elevation. My grandparents were among the first to get a TV set, a Zenith with a round screen. Fortunately, they lived at the top of a hill. My grandfather was eager to try latest thing. My grandmother was totally delighted because suddenly they had more frequent visitors like their sons(!), cousins, and friends. She wasn't that interested in the shows, but the company was fantastic. Popular shows were "What's My Line?" "The Ed Sullivan Show" and everyone's Monday favorite, "I Love Lucy."
![]() |
| 1951 birthday, the day of TWO parties. Ages 12 and 9. |
On a serious note from this era (1951-1953), I remember how frightened parents and children were by a national epidemic of polio, also called infantile paralysis. In our town, two girls slightly older than my sister, were stricken and disabled the rest of their lives. A boy one year behind me in our grade school had his arm paralyzed, and he wore an unusual brace for some time. But by the time we got to Junior High, he had regained his strength. The radio newscasts had daily updates on the scary number of cases. I recall overhearing my mother and aunt talking about polio and both were in tears. How could they protect their children? People thought the disease might be spread in swimming pools, so we did not swim one summer. They may have actually closed the pool for a while. Incredibly by the end of the decade, the Salk vaccine was available as a shot and a few years later we had the Sabin oral polio vaccine. Thankfully, this crippling disease was effectively eradicated by the end of the decade.



A bowl of pudding sounds like a great idea right now. I'll have to look up a recipe! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI am amazed that you remember all those phone #s! WOW! What a memory!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your thoughts on the Polio vaccine. It can be something a new mother in 2010 takes for granted, that our children are pretty well protected from those scary diseases because of modern medicine!
that's great - going home for lunch together for pudding.
ReplyDeletegreat details and pictures
How can you post about pudding enjoyed by generations of your family and not Share the recipe? Our numbers were longer but started with letters. And our aunts has party lines so when we stayed with them they'd always remind us to not answer the phone as it wasn't their ring!
ReplyDeleteFunny thing, Nina and Becky.... I was planning to include the recipe. Then I had a problem. I used to make the one on the box of cornstarch but they don't include it anymore. A google search showed two different historic recipes (but my grandmother did not make chocolate) and personally now we prefer the all recipes version with egg and nutmeg. So here you go:
ReplyDelete1) Historic
http://womenshistory.about.com/od/1894puddings/r/corn_starch_pud.htm
2) Argo Cornstarch (amended)
http://www.argostarch.com/recipe_details.asp?id=1670
3) My current favorite from All recipes but read the comments about no lumps, egg, and nutmeg
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/homemade-vanilla-pudding/Detail.aspx
TMI?? Enjoy...Karen
YOu always give such delightful information! I have never heard of cornstarch pudding and the colored moon on top is soooo neato!
ReplyDeletePhones, Tvs, polio scare... wow. My mom said they always had to come in and rest b/c her mother was worried about them overheating and getting it too.
Karen,
ReplyDeleteHow great that you added the pudding recipes, too! I was wondering how they were made & of course they sounded yummy.
I still remember our phone number from living on the farm: 11F21. The F referred to a farm and the 21 meant our ring was 2 long and one short. Being on a party line was both good and bad. Bad - anyone could listen in on a call, which certain people did on a regular basis; good - any time there was an accident, a fire, or someone needed help, a longer than usual ring alerted all the neighbors, who often came running.
You evoke such wonderful, vivid memories! Thank you!
I'm glad to see the pudding recipes in your comment section! I'm definitely intrigued. Loved your description of being a 3rd grade helper too. Thanks for stopping by animo memoria and for going to the work of looking up our birthday song. You found the right one! I'm adding the link to my post!
ReplyDelete