This is the twelfth in a series of twelve blogs I'm writing for Mommy's Piggy Tales . Janna has provided a fun forum for members to write and share stories from their youth. This post focuses on the year 1961 and events for our family. I have also written a short epilogue separately.
Graduation and Moving Onward
As I reflect on my junior and senior years in high school, fifty years ago, I realize that what comes to my mind now is probably much different than what I would have written 10, 30, or 49 years ago. Assuming that I recall those things that are truly most important, I'll continue.
My most useful HS classes were Algebra II, Chemistry, Senior English, and Typing. Although I was most interested in math and science for my college preparation, my mom insisted that I take a real typing course. So I learned on a manual machine that had no letters on the keys and I actually enjoyed the daily speed drills. Thanks, Mom, the skill has been extremely useful to me all these years.
![]() |
| Karen Senior Photo, 1961 |
But my graduation was just one of the major family events in 1961. My older sister, M, was graduating from college two days later in a city 12 hours away! Somehow we all made it there by car in time for her ceremony. And a few weeks later, she would marry a wonderful guy she met while in school.
From my perspective, M changed for the better while away in college those four years. Well, maybe, just maybe, I had changed a bit, too. Certainly, I began to appreciate having an older sister. I was truly happy for her to have met someone to join our family. She had become a beautiful person and indeed my dearest friend. We still enjoy talking, e-mailing, laughing, crying (mostly me), and sharing what's happening in our lives.
Here is a photo taken shortly before M's wedding, almost fifty years ago. I had this on my desk throughout college. It captures us at a time when M and I were moving onward to new places and Mom and Dad were ready to continue riding along in their parenthood roles with Joe and A.
|
| Karen (18), Joe (7), M (21), A (4) on June 24, 1961 |
####
![]() |
| A, M, Karen and Joe on June 19, 2004 |


Karen,
ReplyDeleteHow sweet that your graduation was the first for your dad as President of the school board & that you were the first graduate thru the line. I've loved reading about your growing up and the photos have been the icing on the cake - just lovely for reminiscing. Thanks for triggering so many wonderful memories of my own!